Can Dogs Eat After Eights

Author:

Published:

Updated:

Affiliate Disclaimer

As an affiliate, we may earn a commission from qualifying purchases. We get commissions for purchases made through links on this website from Amazon and other third parties.

Are you a dog parent who enjoys After Eights and wonders if your furry friend can have some, too?

Can dogs eat After Eights? No, dogs should not eat After Eights or any chocolate-based products. Chocolate contains theobromine and caffeine, which are toxic to dogs. After Eights are chocolate-covered mints, and even a tiny amount of chocolate can lead to serious health issues for dogs, including vomiting, diarrhea, rapid heart rate, and seizures, and it can even be fatal in severe cases.

This article will delve into the potential dangers of feeding After Eights to dogs, including what makes them toxic and the symptoms of poisoning.

Can Dogs Eat After Eights, written in white. There is a dogs nose sniffing a pile of after eight mints.

The Dangers of After Eights for Dogs

Consuming After Eights can be dangerous for dogs due to the chocolate content, which can lead to chocolate toxicity and potential health risks.

Chocolate toxicity

Chocolate has a substance called theobromine. This makes it fatal for dogs to eat. Dogs can’t break it down like humans can. Darker chocolate, like After Eights, contains more theobromine.

Eating dark chocolate can make your dog ill quicker, with symptoms of vomiting and shaking. Some dogs could even have seizures or make their hearts beat faster, which is very scary!

Symptoms of chocolate poisoning

Dogs can get sick from eating After Eights, which is called chocolate poisoning. Dogs may show signs of chocolate poisoning within 6-12 hours after they consume chocolate.

Some common symptoms of chocolate toxicosis in dogs are:

  1. Drinking a lot more water than usual.
  2. Being sick.
  3. Loose stools or running to the toilet often.
  4. Stomach ache.

It may not be as harmful if your dog ate white chocolate, but their stomachs can still get upset.

What to Do if Your Dog Eats After Eights

Contact a veterinarian

If your dog eats After Eights or any chocolate, it’s crucial to contact a veterinarian immediately. They can advise you on what to do next and guide you through the necessary steps.

Even if your dog has only consumed a small amount, it is essential to seek veterinary advice, as chocolate toxicity can be dangerous for dogs.

Remember that every situation is different, so it’s always best to consult a professional who can assess the specific circumstances and provide the appropriate guidance.

Monitor for symptoms

Monitoring your dog if they have eaten After Eights closely is essential. Look out for these symptoms:

  • Racing heartbeat
  • Vomiting
  • Seizures
  • Coma
  • Nausea or feeling sick
  • Signs of intestinal blockage, such as not wanting to eat or drink, abdominal pain, or diarrhea.

Induce vomiting (if advised by a professional)

If a professional advises it, you can induce vomiting in your dog after they eat After Eights. The most common method is to give them 3% hydrogen peroxide orally. However, remember to never do this without consulting a veterinary professional first.

If your dog swallows something non-sharp, it’s recommended to feed them a small meal before inducing vomiting to protect their stomach. Veterinarians may advise inducing vomiting if your dog eats chocolate to remove it from their digestive system.

Provide supportive care

If your dog eats After Eights and shows signs of chocolate toxicity, it is important to provide supportive care. Supportive care involves offering comfort and assistance to your dog during its recovery.

This can include keeping them calm and quiet, providing a comfortable resting area, and ensuring they access fresh water. It may also be necessary to withhold food for about 12 hours to help alleviate nausea.

Remember that if you suspect your dog has ingested a toxic amount of After Eights, it is crucial to contact a veterinarian for guidance on how best to provide supportive care based on the specific situation.

Preventing Dogs from Eating After Eights, written in white. There is a pile after of eight mints.

Preventing Dogs from Eating After Eights

Keep After Eights and other chocolate candies out of reach, educate family members and visitors about the dangers, and offer safe alternatives for treats.

Keep After Eights and other chocolate out of reach

To keep your dog safe, it’s important to keep After Eights and chocolate out of their reach.

Even a small amount of chocolate can cause serious health problems for dogs, including vomiting, diarrhea, increased heart rate, seizures, and in severe cases, even death. Therefore, store all chocolate goodies securely where your furry friend cannot get to them.

This simple step can help prevent accidents and protect your dog’s health.

Educate family members and visitors about the dangers

It is important to tell your family and visitors about the risks of After Eights and other chocolates for dogs.

  • Share information about the risks of feeding dogs chocolate.
  • Explain that eating After Eights can make dogs very sick.
  • Emphasize that smaller dog breeds are especially vulnerable.
  • Encourage everyone to keep chocolates out of reach of dogs.
  • Remind them not to give any chocolate as treats to dogs.

Offer safe alternatives for treats

Dogs love treats, but not all human snacks are safe for them. Instead of giving your dog After Eights or other chocolates, you can offer plenty of safe alternatives.

Carrots and blueberries make excellent treats that are tasty and healthy for dogs. You can also find special dog chew toys, canine dental chews, and natural dog treats designed to be delicious and safe for our furry friends.

These options not only satisfy their cravings but also provide nutritional benefits. So, next time you want to treat your dog, remember to choose something specially made for them!

Final Thoughts

Dogs should not eat After Eights or any chocolate, for that matter. Chocolate is toxic to dogs and can cause serious health issues like poisoning. If your dog accidentally consumes After Eights or any chocolate, it is important to contact a veterinarian immediately for guidance on what steps to take.

Remember to keep all chocolate and other potentially dangerous foods out of your dog’s reach to prevent them from getting sick.

Before You Go

You will find these articles helpful if you want to discover which other types of foods your dog can not eat.

About the author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest Posts

  • Signs Trouble Is Brewing Within Your Dog

    Signs Trouble Is Brewing Within Your Dog

    Have you noticed your usually cheerful dog beginning to act a little off? Perhaps they’ve been turning a deaf ear to commands or crowding your personal space more than usual. These small changes can be disconcerting, leaving you with that nagging feeling that something’s not quite right with your dog. Like us, your dog has…

    Read more

  • Say Hello For The Socially Unsure Puppy

    Say Hello For The Socially Unsure Puppy

    Welcoming a new puppy into your home is like opening the door to endless joy—those tail wags and adorable nose boops are pure magic. But, not every pup is an instant socialite at the sight of new people; some might retreat with anxious energy rather than bound forward with playful tail wags. It’s common for…

    Read more

  • Dog Submissive Urination: Urinates When Anxious Or Nervous

    Dog Submissive Urination: Urinates When Anxious Or Nervous

    As dog lovers, it is important to understand the mix of emotions when your dog’s excitement leads to an unexpected puddle on the floor. Submissive urination is more than inconvenient; it reflects your dog’s internal stress or desire to show deference. It’s easy to mistake these moments for acts of defiance, but often, they’re signs…

    Read more